Mkay so to continue with my story, after leaving the island of the Kyklops, we made our way to Ailolia Island, ruled by the wind god, Aiolos . He kept us there for a month, telling us the story of the Trojan War (as if I need to hear THAT again...) So when he FINALLY allowed us to leave, he bottled up all of the storm winds and gave them to us as a parting gift. Now, we were able to sail flawlessly through the sea with the benefit of the wind on our side. Ithaka was in sight! Everything was going perfectly; it was too good to be true! However, I was the only sailor on my ship who knew what was in Aiolos's bag. I guess the other crew members found the temptation of the mysterious bag too much to handle, and they opened it, releasing all of the winds and sending us all the way back to Ailolia. Just like Pandora's box... It was such a shame. Why didn't I just share my knowledge with the rest of my companions? What made me so special that I felt obliged to be the only one who knew the secret? Anyways, we were sent all the way back to Ailolia, which SUCKED because Aiolos told me that our voyage was "cursed." What great encouragement! But I knew that we couldn't give up and we just couldn't cease our journey to Ithaka. Next, we came upon the island of Aiaia, home of Kirke and her brother Aietes, children of Helios. We drew straws to see who would be the first to check out the island, but they all ended up being turned into pigs and drugged by Kirke. I watched for hours as one by one of of my men entered into her cave, and were drugged up by the devious queen. I didn't know what to do, but then Hermes appeared to me, thank god (literally). He showed me a magical plant that I could eat that would make me unresponsive to Kirke's drugs. Once again, I have no idea why I didn't share this knowledge with my crew...They deserved to have been saved as well... Anyways, I held my sword to her throat, but she begged me to be her lover. I agreed (of course, I mean she was a queen) but only as long as no more ofmy men where harmed. She tempted me with bread and food to tempt me, but once again, my heart did not consent. I was only doing all of this for my beloved wife Penelope.... However, I soon found myself with new trust of Kirke, when she turned my men back from pigs into men. I found myself then drawn to Kirke, and I ended up staying with her as her lover for a year. When my men finally convinced me to leave my beloved Kirke, I asked her how we would ever get back to Ithaka from this island we were on. She replied that the only way we would be able to get back to Ithaka would be to go through the underworld of Hades and Persephone... Upon hearing this, my crew went simply mad. They asked why I was listening to this woman who had at one point fixed to turn them all into pigs! There was no way to explain it, but I knew what I must do it, however out of the way it was. We must go to the Underworld and hear Teiresias tell us what will happen soon. Right before we left, all I remember is seeing Kirke there, floating in the air next to the boat for a moment, and then in a flash, she was gone... For who could see the passage of a goddess unless she wished his mortal eyes aware?
P.S. - Here's a picture of my lady Kirke offering me the drugged drink for the first time...little did she know of my sneaky immunity!! mwahaha!
Peace Out!
Odysseus*


No comments:
Post a Comment