So, as you probably guessed, I had to tell Alkinoos who I was and where I came from. Not only did I tell him that, but I actually told him my entire story-- I told them exactly who I was, and about my home in Ithaka. I told them about how I was detained by Kalypso for so long, but in my heart I never gave consent. And I told them about my journey from Troy to Ismaros, where my men went mutinous... How Zeus drove us then to Malea, on the coastline of the Lotos Eaters, where we longed to stay forever, tempted by the delicious Lotos of the island... However, we had to leave, and continue on our journey. On the next island we found ourselves, was the home of the Kyklopes, a brutal giant, and son of Poseidon. We quickly and stealthily made our way onto the island, as to not be seen or captured or eaten by Kyklops. Once again, we were tempted to steal and eat Kyklopses cheeses and lambs, but I couldn't let that happen. We sat in his cave until he came home from tending to his lambs, and began to milk ewes. However, in the glare of his working fire, he saw us. He asked us who we were and where we came from, and we replied that our boat had broken down on his shore, and that we were the survivors. He had no pity for us. In fact, he responded to our sad story by picking up handfuls of my colleagues and eating them whole. I then realized that I couldn't even kill
Kyklops, because the simple mass of his gargantuan body would block the doorway so that we could never get out. We needed to find a way to make it through the night, and devise a plan to get out safely. We were completely stuck in the cave. Cut off from the safe world around us. So, while he was asleep, we sharpened a stake out of a six-foot plank of wood, and fixed to stab Kyklops in the eye with it. However, we then needed a way to make sure he would not fight back when we were stabbing him. So, we made an "offering" of wine to Kyklops, and fixed to get him so drunk that he was completely passed out. When he finally asked me my name, I told him to call me Nohbdy. (Get it, like nobody?? I'm so clever...) Anyways, when Kyklops was super drunk, we stabbed him in the eye with the stake! It was actually really gross. Then, since he was blind, he couldn't see us anymore, we rode out of the cave on the bottoms of his sheep, while he flailed his arms around in agony, screaming "Nohbdy's tricked me, Nohbdy's ruined me!" I laughed at how well my trick had worked, and I wouldn't help telling him exactly who had tricked him. I was so proud of my work, I had to take credit for it. So, like a pompous fool, I told Kyklops exactly who I was, oblivious to the fact that he would soon tell his father, Poseidon. Kyklops told his father that he was seeking revenge on me, which is why Poseidon is still so angry at me and insists on shipwrecking me any chance he gets.
-- Here's a picture of the awesome trick that we played on Kyklops. :]
Byebye-
Odysseus


No comments:
Post a Comment