Okay so I'm still stuck on this island, and although the people here are very nice, I can't wait to get home!! Today, they invited me to a counsel in which we feasted and listened to a blind minstrel sing songs about my battles at Troy. Although I had asked him to do this, it brought back some very painful memories. I couldn't hold it back much longer, and I started to cry. I cried throughout the whole song, but the minstrel continued to sing until King Alkinoos noticed my pain and told him to stop. When I had asked the minstrel to sing about my time in Troy, I really didn't think that it would bring back such bad memories. I mean, I usually don't get so emotional.. It was quite embarrassing, but I mean he has to have been pretty talented to evoke those kinds of emotions just through his voice... Anyways, when the minstrel stopped singing, we proceeded to the games. We have games in Ithaka of course, and I really didn't want to participate in these games. The people of Poseidon's city already thought I was a god, and I really didn't want to make them love me and hold on to me any longer. So when Laodamas asked me to participate in the games, I had to decline. However, when one of the competitors, a man named Seareach, claimed that the reason I wasn't competing was because I had ever learned a sport and that I was not an athlete, it was like a javelin to the heart. I had to show him that I was not a pansy and that I could compete! Firstm of course, I made an awesome comeback and let him know that he would end up eating his heart-wounding words. Then, I grabbed a discus and threw it as far as I could. It outdistanced the other discuses by what seemed like a mile. Take that Seareach! But I couldn't stop there; I had to show up EVERYONE. I told the city that I would take on anyone (except Laodamas of course) in any event (except running of course). However, before I could take anyone on, Alkinoos took us all to another feast. Once again, the minstrel sang. This time, it was of a love affair between Ares and Aphrodite. It was an interesting song, but once again I asked him to sing about the Trojan horse. And once again, I broke down crying. I thought maybe I would be stronger this time, but I guess not. I have a feeling that Alkinoos was getting curious about who I was, and why I kept crying about the Trojan War songs, so he asked me who I was and where I came from... I knew I could not keep my secret forever, considering no man is nameless, and I knew that as well as I'm sure Alkinoos and his people did. All this means to me is that I should probably get around to telling them who I am pretty soon...TO BE CONTINUED.
P.S. - Here's a picture of me totally owning Seareach at the discus.
Later-
Odysseus

No comments:
Post a Comment